[extropy-chat] How are we going to do this?

Michael Howell vanmojo at msn.com
Fri Jun 11 01:55:58 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Adrian Tymes
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 7:27 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] How are we going to do this?t to buy the rest

That's what they say.  It makes a comfortable
rationalization.  But watch what happens in most cases
when former opponents of a technology realize they,
personally, stand to benefit a lot from it.  (Which
includes having had the "it's too difficult/too
expensive for me to play with" problem solved.)  For
one good example, look at access to the 'Net under
repressive governments: people might officially tout
the party line, but only those who stand to lose power
(the government itself) actually try to restrict the
tech.

      What you say is true, but the problem still remains. Suppose in the near future, we wake up one day to find the first assembler nanites have been created. One week later, Congress bans nanotechnology( not to mention dozens of other governments probably, as you said think of what they would lose). What would we do?