[extropy-chat] cryonics = poseidon adventure

Gregory Propf gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 14 02:04:59 UTC 2004

Harvey Newstrom wrote:

> On Sunday, June 13, 2004, at 03:45 pm, Spike wrote:

> Yep.  Born and raised in Melbourne.  Unfortunately, I am currently
> working for SAIC as a Principal Security Architect on the National
> Archives and Records Administration in Washington, DC.  I only get
> back home about once a month.

Nice to meet you Harvey.  Been reading on imminst about the whole foobar
at WTA.  Pity about all that but I must admit that it's too much to
follow at the moment.  Bruce K. seems like a super nice guy.  Just the
way he writes appeals to me.  Anyway, I post there as Kerr_Avon.  What
is Principal Security Architect?  I take it you are in infosec.  I'm a
programmer for your competitor Grumman myself.  I hate my job >:(

> Forget it.  Families will think you're weird no matter what you do.
> You have to do what you believe and not worry about what other people
> think.  Your family will get over it, or possibly not.  But you have a
> simple choice:  live your life the way you want to or the way others
> want you to.  It's not an easy decision, but I think it is obvious.

I have little to lose with cryonics itself actually.  It's that my
family is a smart but conventional bunch.  They will quickly draw
implications.  He wants to be frozen --> probably doesn't believe in the
big Republican National Convention* in the sky --> probably doesn't
believe in the nasty Hebrew sky-god anymore --> probably a fuckin Commie
--> Needs to be killed ;-)

Ok, the last bit was exaggeration but you get the idea.

* Sorry, but that convention (the real one not the supernatural one) IS
coming up guys and it seems politics is tolerated here to some extent.

- Greg