[extropy-chat] cryonics = poseidon adventure

Gregory Propf gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 14 02:21:07 UTC 2004

Technotranscendence wrote:

>True.  I usually don't bring up the life extension thing to most people
>these days.  If they ask me, I'll tell them, but I don't broadcast like
>I used to.  (This brings up another point.  I recall several years
>ago -- mid-1990s -- being at a cryonics meeting and half of the crowd --
>it was a group of about 8 people -- were obese and eating junk food.
>Cryonics is a long shot and probably worth taking, but why not also take
>the even less chancey strategy of taking care of your overall health as
>well?  The two should not be seen as mutually exclusive...)

Bet they were a bunch of computer nerds.  The same memetic attractors
bring people to transhumanist/extropian views seem to bring them into
the IT field.  Unfortunately, the IT industry is one of the least
healthy on the planet right now.  Workaholism, candy and soda as the
majority of the diet, etc...  Where I work I went through the hallway in
my mind one day and categorized the people there.  I could only think of
1 or 2 who were in the "healthy" weight range out of like 25 people.  I
used to be one of them too.  I never actually ate much sugar but I had a
thing for cheese and starchy stuff and of course just ate whatever I
wanted to in giant quantities.  I'm now doing calorie restriction,
working out and I post on the CR list too.  Lost the weight and now
people are hassling me over that though.  "You're too thin", "you look
bony", "you're wasting away", etc... Yeah, but I bet I could bench press
most of them.

Your handle reminds me of my current favorite poem "Technoliberation" by
Greg Egan (a great writer of hard sci-fi packed with transhumanist
ideas).  I won't post it here but look it up on google sometime.