[extropy-chat] World's most and least expensive cities

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Jun 14 20:01:08 UTC 2004

> 11	Beijing, China
> 12	New York City, USA

It's when I saw this that I started to wonder what their criteria was.
There are some other big question marks, but I cannot fathom how Beijing
could be more expensive than NYC.  I travel to both those cities, and
the cost of food, housing, transportation, etc often varies between
those two by integer factors, with Beijing being dirt cheap for roughly
equivalent goods as far as my experience goes.  I'm at a loss to figure
out where all this "expense" is that makes Beijing more expensive than NYC.

Any clue why this is?  Is it being normalized for per capita income of
the local population?

j. andrew rogers