[extropy-chat] World's most and least expensive cities

Gregory Propf gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jun 15 17:11:34 UTC 2004

Amara Graps wrote:

> J. Andrew Rogers:
>
>>  11    Beijing, China
>>  12    New York City, USA
>

>> It's when I saw this that I started to wonder what their criteria was.
>
> [...]
>
>> Any clue why this is?  Is it being normalized for per capita income of
>> the local population?

In as much as cost of living is basically housing cost, I'm guessing
this is something like what is going on.  An "average" dwelling in a
typical third world city might be very cheap indeed.  But its lack of
reliable and adequate heat, A/C, hot water, noise control, fire safety,
physical security, etc... mean that it doesn't even get counted when
these surveys are taken.  A relatively very small number of dwellings in
such places are up to western standards for all those things and these
places are correspondingly fantastically expensive.  The distribution
would have a low median and average and be strongly "right skew".  New
York, London or similar place by contrast would have almost all
dwellings at a high quality level and a high cost as well.  The cost of
a "western comfort level" in New York or London might be less though
than in a third world capital.