[extropy-chat] Re: the (scary) future of pro-death bioethics and legislation

Tue Jun 15 18:38:51 UTC 2004

Adrian Tymes writes:
> Banning stem cell
> research, for instance, is called "conservative", but
> clamping down on research - even that which could
> merely identify a threat - wasn't as widely used in
> the past, so isn't promoting that change a "liberal"
> move?

No.  Conservatives don't want change or new things.  Clamping down on
research or the discover of new things is conservative.  Preventing
information that might support the need for change is conservative.  All of
these seem consistent to me.  You have to look at the motives.  These "new"
actions are not mean to change anything, but to enforce the status quo.
Just because they are using more force and trying harder than ever not to
change does not count as a liberal initiative for change.

 --
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
<HarveyNewstrom.com>