[extropy-chat] Three-quarters of N. American's support stem cell research

Gregory Propf gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jun 19 19:46:49 UTC 2004

Adrian Tymes wrote:

>--- Gregory Propf <gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>It makes me angry that the only way to advance
>>science in this country
>>is to wed it to the schmaltz and emotionalism
>>surrounding the death of a
>>president.  We can't seem to do anything in this
>>country unless we get
>>people worked into some sort of emotional frenzy.
>>This doesn't bode
>>well for the future to say the least.
>>

>It's not the only way, by any means.  I recall the
>stem cell ban getting attacked as it was anyway.  This
>just happens to be a tool that's come along - so why
>not take advantage of it?

I know.  Just ranting a bit.  We will probably need *more* of this in
fact.  My own mom has MS and maybe some footage of her staggering around
because her motor centers are damaged might wake the silly religious
fuckers up.  Hopefully the business community, who own most of these
political whores anyway, will quietly start pointing out how other
countries that don't have so many Southern Baptists* will be, you know,
getting all the money from commercializing this stuff.  Then the Shrubs
of the world will start to find reasons to remove the ban.  The damage
is done though, the time is lost.  People like my mom will suffer on.

* Apologies if anyone here is SB and reasonable-minded.