[extropy-chat] Three-quarters of N. American's support stem cell research

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Jun 21 07:07:51 UTC 2004

On Jun 20, 2004, at 4:11 PM, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> --- "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com>
> wrote:
>> The only way to advance science in any country is to
>> do it yourself.
>
> Sure thing!  No problem.  But, how do I pay the bills
> while I'm devoting my working hours to advancing
> science?

*shrug*

I can't answer that question for you, but I've managed just fine and
would have managed even better if I made smarter choices and had been
more disciplined in the past.

That last part about "smarter choices" is the important part.  Figure
out where you want to go and be brutally realistic about the most
efficient path to getting there.  And then go do it.  Just realize that
you may not like answer because the best path is rarely the easiest,
most comfortable, or fun.

It only seems hard because virtually all people are some combination of
lazy, undisciplined, and/or have different goals in practice than they
claim in theory.  That is the real stumbling block.  If you get past
these things, it should be a breeze.

j. andrew rogers