[extropy-chat] SPACE: Private spacecraft blast offs June 21

Emlyn ORegan Emlyn.Oregan at micromet.com.au
Tue Jun 22 00:22:34 UTC 2004

Not only did it work, but it appears to have only cost US$20 - did they
miss out an order of magnitude in the news stories? Wow!

One of my favourite things about this event is the look and shape of
SpaceShipOne and White Knight. Surely, with a decent promotional arm
they could have recouped the entire cost via merchandising; I would buy
a toy of those craft.

Damned exciting. This was a bit of a trophy effort, but hopefully it
heralds a move away from the big trophy efforts of the past (eg:
stupidly expensive Moon landings, very impressive though, I'm not
dissing it), and toward a real affordable space industry.

I was thinking that someone could offer a longer range prize for the
first group to haul an asteroid back here, but I guess it isn't
necessary (ie: it's prize enough in itself).

Emlyn