[extropy-chat] Re: extropy-chat Digest, Vol 9, Issue 30

Gregory Propf gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jun 23 02:47:35 UTC 2004

Ben Cunningham wrote:

>Martin Rees, the Astronomer Royal

This is little off topic but Rees has said something to the effect that
"I'd rather end up in an English churchyard than a California freezer"
in reference to cryonics at least.  Not to imply that one must be a
cryonicist to support the PP of course.  I have his book "Our Final
Hour" which is a fairly gloomy look at some of the more threatening
aspects of coming technologies (but also natural threats).  He discusses
interstellar travel at one point as a task for "the posthuman future"
but I'm not really sure how he would come down on the PP in general.
Having written such a book though, I'm sure he *does* have an opinion.
Wish I could find the damn book now...

and ya gotta love Dawkins.  He says all the stuff I'm usually afraid to :)