[extropy-chat] End of sports as we know them?

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 04:54:28 UTC 2004

> Robert J. Bradbury

> A Very Muscular Baby Offers Hope Against Diseases
> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/24/science/24muscle.html?pagewa
nted=print

>In short apparently if you inactivate one or both of your copies
>of the myostatin gene you end up with increased (stronger) muscles.
Robert

I can think of a very good reason why this mutation has
never spread throughout the genome, which if true, is
bad news indeed for this young boy: the muscles will
surely eventually become stronger than the bones that
support them, or at least stronger than the tendons
that attach the muscle to the bone.

I can foresee the medics attempting to produce
myostatin to try to save this little guy.