[extropy-chat] POLITICS: terrorism and strategies

Reason reason at longevitymeme.org
Sat Jun 26 00:53:36 UTC 2004

--> Chris Phoenix

> Two thousand years ago, some anonymous person made one dead body
> disappear.  That was enough to turn a small band of militants into a
> rather successful cross-cultural religion, with many thriving offshoots.

Just to be pendantic: there are many cults, but few huge religions. The
success of Christianity can be pinned on the series of charismatic,
competant, successful leaders who built/transformed a minor mystery cult
into the official Roman religion. I don't think it had much to do with the
nature or history of Christianity itself. We could be living in a Mithran or
Orphean western world if the balance of charismatic, competant, successful
leaders had led any one of the myriad other sects, secret societies or
cults.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme