[extropy-chat] POLITICS: terrorism and strategies

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Sat Jun 26 20:35:24 UTC 2004

On Jun 24, 2004, at 5:19 PM, Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

> Ok, one can distance oneself from my remarks or deal with
> them with sarcasm or state I'm shielding myself from critical
> opinions.  *But*:
>
> Lets start with:
> Triage: (from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)
>   Etymology: French, sorting, sifting, from trier to sort,
>    from Old French -- more at TRY
>   : the sorting of and allocation of treatment to patients and
>   especially battle and disaster victims according to a system of
>   priorities designed to maximize the number of survivors; broadly
>   : the assigning of priority order to projects on the basis of where
>   funds and resources can be best used or are most needed

It is not triage to simply nuke all the patients!

> [Side note -- anyone who does not view the current loss of
> human life (on a global basis from a variety of sources)
> as a crime of monumental proportions when we are almost
> have the technical capabilities of extending human
> lifespan to thousands of years should come visit me in Seattle.
> I will be more than happy to whack you in the side of the
> head with both large and small books until this becomes
> completely clear.]

So you propose crimes of more monumental proportions as a "solution".
Then you expect to not be considered highly twisted and perhaps utterly
morally depraved?

> Those not responding in a concrete way (because they find
> my proposed solutions repulsive or wrong) are part of the
> problem and not part of the solution.  You have obviously
> *not* been reading Kristoff's editorials in the NY Times
> about the situation in the Sudan.

You are part of the problem!  You propose mass murder against those who
use murder to fight for what they believe in.  You propose destroying
the centers of a religion because a few adherents practice terrorism.
By that logic you would also nuke most of the western powers including
the US.    Stop being defensive about your position and look honestly
with more than your overly disassociated brain at what you are
proposing.

> Point being -- some, many, most (???) list members are sticking
> their heads in the sand.  Yes the concept of proposing to
> end lives to save lives is repulsive.  But that is what triage
> is effectively about.  Those who do not engage in the discussion --
> think again -- you are engaged by default.

It is you with your head in the sand.  You cannot bear to see that the
most monstrous piece of evil nonsense proposed recently came from you.
   Your ravings will not save you from other people seeing precisely
what you are doing.   Your seeming inability to see it and modify your
behavior accordingly will lead to those who do see it acting toward you
accordingly.

- samantha