[extropy-chat] Hubert Mania's Comments

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 28 01:42:21 UTC 2004

At 04:47 PM 6/27/2004 -0700, Natasha Vita-More wrote:

 >Robert Bradbury is the quintessential "DEVILS ADVOCATE."

A devil's advocate is someone assigned the unpleasant task of investigating
what is claimed to be *good*, *admirable*, *emulable* behavior, and
disclosing any corrupt hidden aspects. It is not someone who *proposes*
diabolical behavior.

 >He is known for his ability to push the envelope to get people to think.

That is often the case with Robert's scientific posts, which is why I and
others enjoy reading them. However, the world does not need any provocation
to think that, hey, maybe mass murder is a really great idea. This is what
the critics of Robert's post (and its similar predecessors) have been
pointing out. Whether mass murder would provide all kinds of useful
advantages and spoils to the murderers is simply not a discussion worth
having (outside a criminal gang, a psychiatric asylum, or a posturing group
of spotty, resentful teenagers). Indeed, it is a discussion worth stopping
as quickly as possible.

Despite that, I wish Hubert had expressed his (partly justified)
indignation in a more focused way.

Damien Broderick