[extropy-chat] Hubert Mania's Comments

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 09:31:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 04:58:55 -0400, Eliezer Yudkowsky
<sentience at pobox.com> wrote:

> It doesn't matter whether you commit casual genocide in the course of
> trying to be reasonable, logical, utilitarian, and impress everyone with
> how stern you are to consider such harsh tradeoffs (although, needless to
> say, you are not considering making any sacrifices yourself).  I don't
> care.  It's genocide, period.  You can ponder the question all you like.
> When you say that your *conclusion* is to commit casual genocide, you've
> crossed the line that *I* draw between Us and Them.  You've left the line
> behind in the dust.  You're part of the problem, not part of the solution.
>   I disagree that casual genocide is justified, and moreover, I don't
> believe it would *work*.  It would backfire as none save a historian could
> begin to imagine.  And since I believe casual genocide is the wrong action,
> I do not regard it as in the smallest degree meliorating the severity of
> the offense, that the casual genocide is advocated in the name of Jesus,
> Islam, transhumanism, utilitarianism, *I don't frickin' care*.
>
> Transhumanism does not need an Enemy to survive as a meme.

Anyone remember the Black Knight scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

The Black Knight refuses to let King Arthur pass, so they fight.
King Arthur chops the Black Knight's left arm off.
The Black Knight refuses to stop fighting.
King Arthur chops the Black Knight's right arm off.
King Arthur claims victory.
The Black Knight kicks King Arthur.
King Arthur chops the Black Knight's right leg off.
The Black Knight still refuses to surrender.
King Arthur chops The Black Knight's left leg off.
 BLACK KNIGHT:
    Oh? All right, we'll call it a draw.
ARTHUR:
    Come, Patsy.
BLACK KNIGHT:
    Oh. Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back
here and take what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!

Bradburyism doesn't know when to stop the destruction.
If you don't negotiate, you get a never-ending stream of Black Knights.
It doesn't matter that you have superior weaponry. They just don't care.
Do you want to become a killing machine?
What sort of ideology is that?

BillK