[extropy-chat] Genocide, facsism, yadda yadda yadda

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 14:47:06 UTC 2004

--- Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having said this, I think we should bear in mind that some parts of
> what we imprecisely call the extropian/transhumanist worldview are
> becoming more and more objects of real world policy debate. On one
> hand this is good and demonstrates that we are being taken seriously,
> on the other hand it is dangerous because we are attracting the
> attention of "enemies", some of whom you can be sure are reading the
> list.

Giulio is exactly right here. I've been dealing with this problem here
in NH with FSP/FTP controversy in the media in the last few weeks,
where one member who cybersquatted the freetownproject.com domain name
and posted only his own rather extreme opinions of what libertarianism
is, was taken by the opposition as representative of the group
consensus opinion (and the fact they exaggerated what he said is
another issue entirely). The most loud mouthed, extreme position holder
in your group will become labelled by the enemies of your group as an
average member.

This is a common discrediting tactic in politics. If your group
advocates ideas which are or may come into play in political issues in
the greater society, you need to acknowledge that politics is a dirty
game, and take steps to protect your group against dirty tricks.

If groups are concerned about this happening, especially with regard to
email lists, web forums, and chat rooms, they should take steps to make
generous use of disclaimer statements on every email post, forum topic,
and chatroom discussion.

Individual members who run websites that are not official sites of the
group, but post info that may be their own opinions about the group and
its goals, need to be asked to post disclaimers that the views on that
site are not official views of the group organization or membership.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)