[extropy-chat] A new life/health extension meme...

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 28 17:00:08 UTC 2004

--- Chris Phoenix <cphoenix at CRNano.org> wrote:
> I've found that when I talk about life extension, or
> even health
> extension, people start reacting weirdly; they worry
> about Alzheimers,
> or the meaning of life, or social justice, or
> boredom...
>
> I think I've come up with a way to introduce the
> topic without
> triggering all that.
>
> "If they developed a pill that would make you five
> years younger for
> each pill you took, how many of them would you
> take?"

At a time, or total over one's lifespan?  (Lead in to
immortality - but also let them consider that they
could stop any time.)

Also, would this cross puberty (or even conception)
barriers?  (Of course not - once you're an adult,
you're an adult, so there are no worries about 60 year
olds with 10 year old bodies, or about deconception.)

Plus, some people don't like leading questions like
that - you're assuming people would take them.  It's
a valid tactic in theory, but enough people have seen
it in practice that it might be better to avoid it.
Besides, the quantity doesn't really matter so much as
taking the pill itself.

And some people worry about medicines interacting or
causing other unwanted things.

Perhaps slightly better:

"If they developed a pill that would make you five
years younger for each pill you took, to a minimum of
20 years old and with no side effects, would you take
some right now*?"

* - or, for younger folk, "before you reach 30"
instead of "right now".

(Pause, wait for answer.)

"How about five years from now*?  And five years after
that?"

* - "from then" for younger folk.