[extropy-chat] Nanotech educations

Chris Phoenix cphoenix at CRNano.org
Mon Jun 28 23:27:58 UTC 2004

Eugen Leitl wrote in several messages:
 >Adrien Tymes wrote:
 >> One could possibly build MNT systems around a very
 >> very limited library of mechanosynthesis reactions.
 >
 > Indeed, but we don't even have that very limited mechanosynthesis
 > reaction.  It's all 95% vapor at this point.

What about Freitas and Merkle's work with dimer deposition?

What about Nano-Hive?  http://www.nano-hive.org/

> By the time we have to deal with systems taking mole number of atoms, we will
> have computers with mole number of switches. There are already commercial
> packages with handle mesoscale without involving full atomic detail.
>
> Imo, this is not something we should focus on right now.

If all we had to do was handle atoms, I'd agree.  But you can't do
multi-level design that way.  And you can't learn to do design that way.

If I handed you a Merkle assembler with no software and no one trained
to do nanoproduct design, it would be years before you could start
replacing the oil infrastructure or building useful medical devices.
That would be a massive humanitarian and environmental tragedy.  Plus, I
think it would guarantee that weapon-building would be the first use to
develop.

> Right now molecular manufacturing is languishing in a ghetto similiar to how
> cryobiologists are regarding cryonics. Unless there is a way to break out of
> that ghetto, the mainstream will completely envelop and encapsulate this,
> leaving even not memory behind.

It would take the mainstream several decades to catch up to even
Nanosystems-level performance.  Long before then, someone in some
military will have realized that they can build products decades ahead
of the curve by pursuing this.

Why are we in that ghetto, anyway?  It's not because the science was
bad.  It's because we tried to talk to the scientists.  And the
scientists, being conservative skeptical stick-in-the-muds, said "This
doesn't look like anything I recognize, so it must not be science."

No, it's not even that.  Drexler did talk to the scientists, starting
with his 1981 PNAS paper.  But then he talked to the government.  And
the government talked to the bureaucrats.  And the bureaucrats made a
very sly decision: to define "nanotechnology" so as to achieve
short-term success in several fields that were about to cross the 100-nm
line.  And the bureaucrats funded the scientists.  And then the
scientists turned against us, because they had funding to defend.

Drexler also talked to the public.  He spent about 400 words in Engines
talking about gray goo, and about 1300 talking about oppressive
governance.  But gray goo is unfortunately close to the archetype of
"bug," making it quite scary (this was obvious only in hindsight); so
the idea self-replicated, mutated, and took over the whole discussion.

So how do we climb out of that ghetto?  Not by doing good science,
because the science has always been good.  Not by taking baby steps;
that will take too long, and won't lead to policy discussion until right
before the breakthrough.  Maybe just by starting new organizations with
new people, new messages, and new methods until one of them turns out to
be a good nucleus for sane-but-speculative interest in molecular
manufacturing to coalesce around.  I'll keep trying with CRN; but it's
been a year and a half, and if someone wants to create a new
organization on a new plan, I think that'd be a great idea.

Chris

--
Chris Phoenix                                  cphoenix at CRNano.org
Director of Research