[extropy-chat] ex-tropical

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 07:42:15 UTC 2004

Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

Emigration, on the other hand, would probably not
cause a high birth rate to compensate. Net result:
depopulation.

That is what I was trying to communicate.

* That is still nonsense, Adrian. The vast majority of people in the world today don't even have access to automobiles or airplanes. I seriously doubt that even if space travel were to become as routine as booking a flight would a significantly sizable portion of the world be able to afford to leave it. So the world will not be depopulated by emigration. Chances are at best a lucky privilaged few will be able to leave and the rest will in remain in squalor to succumb to famine, disease, war, or perhaps even survive as they may.

In general, I don't like criticizing what people say on this list because I feel it stifles interesting if not perfect ideas from being expressed. But in this case I figure I owe you one.

The Avantguardian

"He stands like some sort of pagan god or deposed tyrant. Staring out over the city he's sworn to . . .to stare out over and it's evident just by looking at him that he's got some pretty heavy things on his mind."