[extropy-chat] gay marriage

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 12:54:28 UTC 2004

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:
> --- Harvey Newstrom <mail at HarveyNewstrom.com> wrote:
> > Kevin Freels wrote,
> > > I am so angry I can't even type a decent letter!
> > This gay marriage thing
> > > is just as stupid as segregation!
> >
> > It is interesting that you compare this debate with
> > the one on segregation.
> > I see the concept of civil unions as being "separate
> > but equal" for gays.
>
> How about the followup: ...and then ban marriage
> entirely, converting already existing marriages into
> civil unions?  Thus, neither hetero nor homo get
> government-sanctioned religious institutions.
> Anything currently going to marriages and not to civil unions
> would either have to be revised or become universally
> inapplicable.

Bush said recently that marriage has been in existence for 5000 years.
What this means is that marriage had been a fine institution for 4850
years. It took the US only 150 years to screw it up. Get the government
OUT of marriage. Private enterprise can do it better...

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                       - Gen. John Stark