[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Mon Mar 1 14:51:56 UTC 2004

Brian Lee wrote,
> Merkets are the most efficient means of establishing a goal.

I must respectfully disagree with this.  Markets are the most efficient at
maximizing profits.  But the most profitable product is not necessarily the
best one.  Most people can't afford the most expensive, best PC.  So the
most profitable PCs are the cheapo ones that are "good enough" for "most"
purposes.  But as for the goal of what a PC should be, I do not find the
market acceptable.

Healthcare is another obvious example.  I pay big bucks for doctors to give
me all the available options.  HMOs are more profitable, but they are so by
withholding options from patients or limiting doctors.  I don't want that
for my personal healthcare.  I don't think many people would.  However, the
market wants this for maximum profitability.  In terms of health, as with
other items, profitability may not be the ultimate goal.
> Look at the economic planning committees of the old
> USSR and China to see how planning fails where an
> open market succeeds.

Such as in space exploration, for example?

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,