[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 15:38:11 UTC 2004

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> Mike Lorrey wrote,
> > Better yet, everyone on the bus has a steering wheel, and the
> > wheels are steered by the input of all. This is how markets
> > work. The driver just monitors the inputs of each passenger
> > so that the bus actually stays on a road, instead of in a
> > ditch, but there is a limit to what the driver can do. If the
> > majority of the passengers are convinced the bus is going to
> > crash, it will crash.
>
> This is a good analogy of how the market works.  It therefore bothers
> me that I would never get on a bus such as you describe!

A finer analogy may say that some passengers only have a brake pedal,
while some only have a gas pedal, some can only steer straight or left,
others straight or right, while some have all controls in front of
them. Everybody decides what controls each passenger has access to.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                       - Gen. John Stark