[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:25:50 UTC 2004

>From: "Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com>
>To: "'ExI chat list'" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical
>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:51:56 -0500
>
>I must respectfully disagree with this.  Markets are the most efficient at
>maximizing profits.  But the most profitable product is not necessarily the
>best one.  Most people can't afford the most expensive, best PC.  So the
>most profitable PCs are the cheapo ones that are "good enough" for "most"
>purposes.  But as for the goal of what a PC should be, I do not find the
>market acceptable.

The market here is affordable PCs. The market creates the best, lowest cost
PC available to the public and is an excellent example of markets
succeeding. So companies maximize profits and the consumer maximizes
performance per dollar.

>Healthcare is another obvious example.  I pay big bucks for doctors to give
>me all the available options.  HMOs are more profitable, but they are so by
>withholding options from patients or limiting doctors.  I don't want that
>for my personal healthcare.  I don't think many people would.  However, the
>market wants this for maximum profitability.  In terms of health, as with
>other items, profitability may not be the ultimate goal.

An HMO is not a market. If healthcare was market driven we would have
greater availability and lower prices. As it is there is heavy govt
regulation. It would be pretty nice if we had full information on healthcare
and heavy competition. Alas, we don't (yet) so the US has the bloated system
that we have. It could be a lot more efficient.

Markets maximize profits for a system. Maximizing profits does not
necessarily mean that a free market exist.

BAL