[extropy-chat] Plan to allow transsexuals into Games on back burner

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 17:26:48 UTC 2004

I think having separate classes for body modified individuals (of all
types, not just transsexuals) would be fine. After a few years, the
world records for the mods will exceed the 'organic' humans, and people
will start to realize the benefits, and so long as no government agency
is involved in ordering anyone to be altered (there should be some sort
of lie detector test to affirm that the athlete underwent the procedure
of their own free will) then the whole eugenics thing can be avoided.

--- David Lubkin <extropy at unreasonable.com> wrote:

> >http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-02/29/content_1337113.htm
> >Plan to allow transsexuals into Games on back burner
> >2004-02-29 11:27:33
> >
> >ATHENS, Feb. 28 (Xinhuanet) -- A decision to allow transsexuals to
> take
> >part in the Olympic Games was put off on Saturday as the IOC
> executive
> >board failed to reach consensus.
> >
> >The decision-making body of the International Olympic Committee had
> >discussed the emotive subject at a meeting in the Greek capital but
> had
> >failed to make much progress.
> >
> >"The discussion was a difficult discussion for (IOC medical
> director)
> >Patrick Schamasch and myself who tried to explain a very difficult
> medical
> >problem," said IOC president Jacques Rogge.
> >
> >The rule would cover both male-to-female and female-to-male cases.
> >
> >Some contend that transsexual athletes have a physical advantage
> against
> >other women, because men are believed to have higher levels of
> >testosterone and greater muscle-to-fat ratio and heart and lung
> capacity.
> >
> >However, doctors say, testosterone levels and muscle mass drop after
>
> >hormone therapy and sex-change surgery.
> >
> >"Even for me it is complicated," Rogge said, "It is much more
> complicated
> >for someone with no medical training."
>
> Interesting question. The Olympics currently bans any alteration of
> body
> function through surgery or medication, and being a transsexual would
> seem
> to qualify.
>
> The answer for now and the next few decades, I think, is to have two
> categories -- altered and unaltered. In the altered category, allow
> any
> changes of any kind to anyone. Eventually, there would be a follow-up
>
> debate over whether someone has been altered to the point that they
> are
> more robot than human, and must compete in the Robot Olympics.
>
> One complicating issue is that there's probably an exemption for
> medically
> necessary surgery or medication, and then the debate becomes whether
> gender-alteration is medically necessary.
>
> The question of "medically necessary" is a gaping hole in IOC rules.
>
> If treatment for asthma, say, gives runners higher oxygen
> utilization, they
> will have a competitive advantage over healthy athletes. Also, this
> will
> encourage healthy runners to fake or induce medical conditions in
> order to
> obtain the treatment.
>
> If there is no exclusion for medical necessity, athletes will be
> forced to
> choose between their health (or lives) and their life ambition of
> competing
> [...]

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development