[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 14:34:35 UTC 2004

>From: "Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com>
>To: "'ExI chat list'" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical
>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:08:34 -0500
>
>Brian Lee wrote,
> > >From: "Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com>
> > >I must respectfully disagree with this.  Markets are the
> > >most efficient at maximizing profits.  But the most
> > >profitable product is not necessarily the best one.
> > >Most people can't afford the most expensive, best PC.
> > >So the most profitable PCs are the cheapo ones that
> > >are "good enough" for "most" purposes.  But as for the
> > >goal of what a PC should be, I do not find the market
> > >acceptable.
> >
> > The market here is affordable PCs.
>
>You redefined my goal from "best PC" to "affordable PC".  The market might
>be the best at making your "affordable PCs".  But I am still not convinced
>that the market produces the "best PC" using criteria other than price.

Ahh, but isn't the "best" PC one that is only $500? The market gets you the
most processing power for the lowest dollar. It also makes the highest
performing PCs as cheap as possible. A good example of a market is going to
pricewatch.com or ibuyer.net. Low barriers to entry, full information.

A bunch of these cheap pcs are clustered together to beat out the huge super
computers at a fraction of the price. How would you propose creating the
"best PC"? What is "best" anyway?

>I thought HMO's were the market's answer to healthcare.  I thought they
>provided the cheapest healthcare as per market desires.  That's why I
>suggested them as an example where the market maximizes money over quality.
>If you can point out any other examples of market-driven health-care, I
>will
>try to consider that.  But I still am not convinced that the market
>produces
>the "best" quality of health-care rather than the most "cost-effective"
>health-care.  Health-care seems to be the obvious example where price is
>NOT
>the most important criteria.

I understand your point, but an HMO is an example of how not having a market
fails. The problem is that drugs and care are heavily regulated and
legislation has more of an effect on prices/quality than any market forces.

>More efficient at what?  Controlling costs?  Or extending lifespan?  I am
>not convinced that these are the same goals.  What happens if we want
>maximum availability, effectiveness and quality instead of best cost,
>effectiveness, and quantity?

If someone really wants to pay to extend their lifespan then the market is
better to provide these services than govt/hmo/healthcare companies. Look at
the prices/services created by medical procedures that aren't covered by
healthcare: cosmetic surgery, massage. These fields have increased services
while maintaining, lowering price.

BAL