[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 16:11:17 UTC 2004

Avoid the "Microsoft tax" by not buying from shops that force windows down
your throat. There are enough vendors who will sell a naked PC to
accommodate the small portion of users who prefer this. Even dell offers red
hat on some workstations (even though they "recommend Microsoft Windows XP
Professional".

The PC market is an excellent example of a successful market. Linux shows
what happens when MS starts flexing its monopoly to keep prices high and
force uneeded software purchases.

Of cource markets are not always perfect. But they are usually best. I tend
to favor self-regulating systems where it's in the individual nodes' selfish
interests to be efficient.

I purposely left out metrics for "processing power", "best" etc as I don't
think defining those is necessary for the spirit of this conversation.

BAL