[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Tue Mar 2 18:27:00 UTC 2004

Technotranscendence wrote,
> You want the best PC?  If you can afford it, you can get a lot.
> However, most people set limits on how much they will pay for a PC.
> They are willing to settle for less options or whatever if the price
> is lower.  This is because they don't have infinite resources and
> costs matter.

Exactly my point.  Most people want cheap PCs and that is what the market
focuses on providing.  If you want some fringe attribute besides price that
most people don't want, the market is not geared toward serving you.

> This is also an illustration of the paradox of freedom.  If you allow
> people to be free to make their decisions -- decisions like buying a
> PC -- they will make choices you disagree with -- even choices you
> feel are stupid, wrong, suboptimal, unhealthy, etc.

Exactly my point.  Most people choose suboptimal goals, and the market fills
these suboptimal goals.  Thus, the market choices are often suboptimal.

> Therein lies the rub.  You look at these as all or nothing choices.
> Either there is one monolithic system that is cost efficient or
> there's one monolithic system that extends lifespan.

I do see cheap healthcare and life-extension at opposite ends of the
spectrum.  Cheap healthcare plans don't offer life-extension.
Life-extension plans don't come cheap.  You cannot get both cheapness and
life-extension in the same plan today.  The market can optimize toward one
end of the spectrum or the other.  It currently seems to be choosing price
over life-extension.  Therefore, the market/majority goals are not my goals
(right now).

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,