[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Wed Mar 3 02:21:27 UTC 2004

Harvey wrote:

Orphan drugs and life-extension drugs
> are not as popular, and are not as optimized by the market.  The
> market is a popularity contest where the majority rules.

### Most definitely not! The market is a popularity contest with no single
winner, where every minority has a chance of a win, proportionate to the
size of the demand they generate. Orphan drugs are not supplied as widely as
wide-market drugs - and of course it should be so, since the limited
resources of our society should not be spread to cover all diseases of even
the smallest importance, which would leave the mega-killers inadequately
treated.

Rafal