[extropy-chat] FSP: Killington Votes to Secede

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 17:11:26 UTC 2004

--- Technotranscendence <neptune at superlink.net> wrote:
> I know this is in Vermont, but I wonder about similar legal processes
> in other states of the US.  It might be yet another way to alter the
> system...

Yes, the idea had been bandied about. While a town in any other state
is going to have a bigger legal hurdle to get over (VT towns were
founded by NH), there are similar situations. For example, West
Virginia was once part of Virginia, as was Kentucky. Tennesee was once
part of North Carolina. Many states were once part of Louisiana, etc...
and in all these cases, towns were chartered by the original government
in those areas that later became their own states.

The question, though, is "are any of the original states havens of
liberty compared to the states they spawned"???

We have been discussing, though, the idea of establishing NH towns in
states all over the country, much like Neal Stephenson's "franchulates"
in his novel "Snow Crash". We are currently searching for small
population towns that are very economically productive in other states
which are especially abused by state governments through taxation
and/or regulation, to the point that the citizens of the town are of a
mood to secede entirely.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development