[extropy-chat] Bubble fusion--strong evidence for it.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Mar 5 09:16:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:25:17PM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:

> So we have here a confirmation of the feasibility of
> "cold" fusion, ie kitchen table-top low tech fusion.

It is not more a cold fusion than the inertial confinement fusion people are
doing. If it's for real; interesting if you could scale up the setup with
high-precision spherical assembly collapse, something not invoving acres of
high-power lasers.

> (We all note how this fusion method is called "bubble"
> fusion.  Nary a whisper about c*** f*****.  Thou shalt
> not go there.)

That's because it (if it at all happens) involveds hot
(claimed ~100 MK), dense deuterium plasma. Remember, there's a reason why it
glows.

> Anyway,...
>
> Fleischman and Pons used an electrolysis setup.  Ran
> DC current through palladium electrodes, remember?
> Now there may be no connection whatsoever, but...
>
> The DC current was probably rectified 110 VAC line

You have no basis for this assumption. Absolutely none.

> current.  Could it possibly be that the alternating
> current was not completely filtered out.  Say some
> higher harmonics?  Say, something in the ultrasonic

If it's rectified, there are no higher harmonics. It's not a switching power
supply (I think they did use a switching power supply, but I don't remember
the setup).

> range?  With the right geometry one might get a
> resonance in the equipment at an ultrasonic frequency.

No. If you want cavitation, you need piezo or magnetostriction actuators, and
maybe even an acoustic lens.

>  With such a resonance the unfiltered
> ultrasonic-frequency artifact could build up to
> generate a bubble-cavitation fusion event.  And if F &
> P weren't aware of and couldn't discern the mechanism
> of the reaction, well then,...possible explanation of
> the cold-fusion phenomena.

Palladium cathodes get loaded with up to 1000x their volume in hydrogen when
electrolyzed. This loading increases the lattice volume and introduces
fractures, though which atmospheric oxygen can enter. Palladium catalyzes
oxygen/hydrogen reactions.

The whole process is nonlinear, but now and then you'll get massive
exothermic reactions supposedly from nowhere, if you're a lousy experimenter.