[extropy-chat] Vikings' Barbaric Bad Rap Beginning to Fade

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Sat Mar 6 15:19:23 UTC 2004

On Saturday, March 06, 2004 2:56 AM Tom's name Here
the_spoon_maker at hotmail.com
>> Bad Rap?  I didn't know there was any other kind.:)
>
> Of course opinion cannot be wrong, but here is
> something you might want to consider: in 2003
> Harvard held a symposium purely on Tupac Shakur;
> http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/04.24/11-hiphop.html
>
> and now offers a class in "Modern Protest
> Literature" featuring the slain rapper's lyrics;
> http://newshound.de.siu.edu/online/stories/storyReader$5061
>
> Of course I may be confusing hip-hop with
> modern rap, but the point is brilliance (or
> lack thereof) comes from the artist,
> regardless of the genre he or she is in.
> Rap did not give us the Thong Song; Sisqo did.

I've heard all this before and I actually agree with some of the points,
but that doesn't mean I like the music.  This is the same for opera and
musicals.  I can't much stand either, but I can understand a lot of the
stuff behind them -- from the esthetic to the ideological.

Also, the point you make about brilliance is important, but you've got
to like the genre too.  I don't, for whatever reason.  It's kind of like
a gourmet dinner of brussel sprouts.  You might love it and I mgiht
agree that it's brilliantly made and served, but I can't stand brussel
sprouts.:)  No lecture on how well they're made, no symposium on their
grandness, no class at Harvard in the benefits of eating them will make
me like them.:)

I.e., don't read too much into my tastes.

Regards,

Dan
http://uweb.superlink.net/neptune/MyWorksBySubject.html