[extropy-chat] Re: Virus problem inquiry

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Sun Mar 7 15:29:43 UTC 2004

Joseph S. Barrera III <joe at barrera.org> wrote:

> Some third party, who has Eugene and you in their email address
> book, has a virus that sends copies by picking one of the addresses
> as the to and the other as the (faked) from.

One interesting observation is that fake From addresses, whether
spam or worms, are always limited to a bare email address without
accompanying full name.  E.g., when Eugene sends me mail it is

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>

(which shows up as from "Eugen Leitl" in my MUA), but fakes are just

From: eugen at leitl.org

Since all people I associate with use full names in their email
addresses, any messages with bare addresses purporting to come from
them are obviously fake.

Just why the worms don't pick up the full names I don't understand.
For the time being, it speeds up sorting out the junk.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de