[extropy-chat] Talking the Talk

MIKE TREDER iph1954 at msn.com
Wed Mar 10 23:03:55 UTC 2004

Last week, I attended the "Imaging and Imagining Nanoscience & Engineering"
conference put on by the University of South Carolina. It was a gathering of
over 100 researchers and analysts from around the world.

The keynote speech was given by Eric Drexler, who is sometimes described as
the father of nanotechnology. Drexler's proposals and designs for molecular
manufacturing inspired 'nanotechnology' as a unified field. However, Drexler
appears to be frustrated with where the field is going. He accused several
scientists by name of misrepresenting his work, and accused the NNI of
stifling research toward molecular manufacturing. He even announced that his
invitation to speak at the conference had been personally opposed by Mihail
Roco, the head of the NNI. Drexler's talk was a mix of nanotech theory,
political accusations, and exhortation to work harder on developing his
designs.

By contrast, a talk by James Von Ehr, CEO of Zyvex, focused on specific
future projects. Von Ehr reported that his company has a ten-year plan to
build a molecular assembler, that is, a machine system capable of atomically
precise manufacturing at the nanoscale. Of course, as he admitted, they had
an earlier, even more ambitious plan that they've had to revise. But he said
they learned a lot from that experience, and seems confident that this
current effort has a good chance of success. The new Zyvex approach will
combine top-down work in nanolithography with bottom-up designs in scanning
probe depositional chemistry. My NGO, the Center for Responsible
Nanotechnology (CRN) will be observing their R & D work with great interest.

Every time I meet with nanotech researchers, I come away amazed at how much
real progress is being made. Of course, this only adds to CRN's sense of
urgency for open and productive discussion about the ethical, legal, and
social implications of nanotechnology, and appropriate policy initiatives.

You can read more about this and other CRN-related news on our blog at
http://crnano.typepad.com/crnblog/.

See you in the future!

Mike Treder
Executive Director