[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) Re: geek [Asperger's Syndrome?]

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 14 00:07:46 UTC 2004

on 12/3/04 09:52 pm, Jack Kolb at wrote:

Yeah: well, how many of you owned an IBM Displaywriter (with 8 inch
diskettes)?  I did  (minus the printer that was attached to it: I used the
one at school).  Wrote my first book on it.  Paying for it nearly put me in
a debtor's prison.  So there {grin}.

Jack Kolb
Dept. of English, UCLA

Was that in the late '70s?  The Army unit I was in while waiting for my
resignation to process had one of those that they used to fill out OERs
and such.  They got about 12 pages on one 8-inch disk.

Couldn't afford one, myself.  Rumor mill had it that they cost about 12
grand.

Ed Tyler

With the printer, it would have been about that amount, Ed.  If I remember, I
(ultimately) paid about about 7 grand.  I guess, looking back, I don't regret
it: I got a lot of use out of it.

Actually the first computer I ever used was an old DEC-10; we had an outlet in
our department.  It was left over from some social science research project.

Jack Kolb
Dept. of English, UCLA

behaviors, I wonder how many 'geeks' have Asperger's Syndrome?

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program