[extropy-chat] NETWKS: orkut

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Mon Mar 15 22:36:55 UTC 2004

I would like to urge all extropians to take some time to
browse "www.orkut.com".  It seems to be back up and operating
reasonably (I think it may have been down for a while due to
some bugs).  I found it interesting that there are quite large
nanotechnology, extropians and transhumanists communities.

It can take a fair amount of time to browse through all of
these, enter a proper balance of personal v. private information,
connect oneself via the acquaintance/friend/good friend connections.
So one may want to plan to spend a couple of hours working on this.

There are people in some of these communities or friend networks
who are people who may not be actively on the ExI list (a surprising
number IMO as I began to explore the networks).  There also seems
to be a wealth of connections via the extended networks that I would
not otherwise have known about.

So I would suggest that people take some time to explore this
medium/forum and see whether it would serve to expand their
goals/perspectives in various ways.

I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules with regard
to how one "rates" people within ones network.  I'm using
"acquaitance" as someone with whom I've perhaps met once
or twice and had occasional email conversations, "friend"
as someone with whom I've had extended conversations and/or
multiple meetings and "good friend" as people where there
have been extended conversations or knowledge of extensive
common interests.  Obviously these assessments may vary.

But it seems to be a very interesting forum through which
personal networks may be expanded.

Robert