[extropy-chat] frozen lobsters thaw to lob another day

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Wed Mar 17 18:29:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Spike wrote:

> Is this fer real?  spike

It could very well be -- the maximal lifespan of lobsters
remains a matter of some debate.  It could be several hundred
years (though those long-lived big ones have mostly been
harvested now).

One can easily compare lobsters with tortises -- top of their
local food chain, protected from external harm, etc.  Allows
one to evolve a very robust genome -- which may include
being able to be frozen from time to time (the North Atlantic
*does* get very cold).

(I had several grand-uncles whose professions were in the
Maine lobster trade so this is something I'm reasonably
informed about.)

Robert