[extropy-chat] Century City: The law show of the future

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Mar 18 15:19:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 07:00:04AM -0800, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> We saw just a few months ago a 2d display that projects an image into
> empty space, using only a sheet of prepped air to depict the image. No
> reason to not expect a 3d version in 30 years. Talk about cynical 2003.

In three decades I expect anyone who care to run around in augmented reality.
3d displays in midair would be a side effect of that. You can see some Sony
prototypes on CeBit. Eye tracking, no head tracking yet, I think...

I don't think this will kill all visible displays outright, but then it just
might on the long run.

> How do you KNOW that it is impossible? It could, for example, be simply
> an electrostatic field holding a good amount of dust in suspension.

That'd be real nasty. Ditto if you use air plasma as projection screen.

I think the silliest assumption of far future is that you still see normal
people frolicking around. Then, incomprehensible stuff has about zero
audience, so we shouldn't complain too much.