[extropy-chat] Bashing the brand (was Neural Engineering)

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Fri Mar 19 12:50:31 UTC 2004

fredagen den 19 mars 2004 13.09 wrote Brett Paatsch:
> From: "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com>
>
> > Now, many of you may remember my rather infamous
> > "lets nuke Afghanistan" post of a couple of years ago.
> > This was based on my utilitarian/extropic argument ...
>
> I have to agree with Hubert that this sort of use of "extropic" is
> likely to be harmful to the Extropian brand.

In this case Robert made a mistake, since his reasoning was almost purely
utilitarian (a brand that I think *rightly* has become harmed by its
applications) and had very little to do with extropian thinking (other than a
willingness to go outside the frame of the traditional human).

However, I hope the neuroengineering discussion can produce a bit more light
than the former discussion - the issue here is far closer and far more
problematic. We already have crude tests for psychopathology that could be
used to find if somebody is a potentially violent person. How should they be
handled? It is not trivial, although the more radical applications implied by
Robert in his post (perhaps accidentally) almost certainly are immoral and
impractical. But cognitive liberty is a serious matter, and not well explored
in the study of citizen-state or citizen-citizen interactions.

--
Anders Sandberg
http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa

The sum of human knowledge sounds nice. But I want more.