[extropy-chat] Neural Engineering

Bill Hibbard test at demedici.ssec.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 19 15:23:54 UTC 2004

> Now what I am interested in from the perspective of the
> "Neural Engineering" perspective is the possibility of
> extracting (non-destructively and non-painfully) information
> that leads directly to the people who are responsible for
> the direct (and most probably painful) termination of
> innocent people.

The really interesting question is whether something like
this is happening already. I understand that there are
brain imaging techniques that can be used as effective lie
detectors. If you show a person a picture, imagers can
detect whether the person is familiar with the picture's
subject.

I wonder if these techniques are being used in questioning
terrorists. It seems to me that with clever questioning,
and looking for correlations among the responses of many
terrorists, that brain imaging could be quite effective.

Anyone know?

Cheers,
Bill