[extropy-chat] The end of crime as we used to know it?

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 05:18:03 UTC 2004

> Eugen Leitl

> Nowadays, people don't riot even if their portemonnaie's
> being bled. Now this makes me genuinely worried.

I googled to learn what a portemonnaie is, but all
the sites that mention it are in German.  {8-[  Gene?

Interesting aside: one article mentions an incident
where a basketball team was being accused of gang
raping a woman.  One of the players used his phone
to make short videos showing the young lady participating
in her rape with wild and joyful enthusiasm, thus
exonerating the team of impropriety.  Or at least of
criminal activity.  She confessed that she tried to
extort a thousand bucks from the team, but they refused
to pay.

The twist is that the video was illegal, since he had
not gotten her express permission to record the event.
So the evidence of their innocence was illegally
collected.

Clearly our society has not figured out what to
do with this technology.

Oh I love this.  Oooooh I love it.  I want to see
society ruled by technology, not by the whims of
lawmakers.  He who masters the best technology wins.