[extropy-chat] Politics [was: Christopher Reeve Foundation: Request]

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 02:16:47 UTC 2004

--- "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:

> Bottom line (IMO) -- Bush and the Bush agenda seem
> to be poorly in line with extropic perspectives or
> perhaps they are distinctly unextropic.  And even though I
> tend to be aligned with the republicans from a fiscal standpoint
> and I've voted independently (Anderson/Perot) in several
> recent elections in November I will be down in the voting booth
> checking off whomever seems likely to defeat Bush.
>
> It seems very unlikely that it could get any worse.

Actually, I think that the country getting stuck with Kerry at this
point in time bodes very well for the Free State Project. Every
slightly right libertarian who was content to sit tight wherever they
were under Bush is going to high-tail it to New Hampshire, and any left
libertarian who puts more libertarian than left in their thinking is
going to be very shocked at how much further over the edge the Kerry
presidency will take police powers like The Patriot Act. THe next four
years will see some significant battles over states rights.

While Ashcroft may have been focusing on foreigners with his new
fangled police powers, I expect a rather heinous gestapo to descend
across America under Kerry, since democrats typically award the AG
position to a more radical leftist to the same degree that the GOP
awards it to strict conservatives.

I myself am voting for Gary Nolan, and encourage my left friends to
vote for Nader. If we can keep both major candidates in sub-majority
numbers with good showings for major party candidates, it will send
signal that they can't keep playing the game they are.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                       - Gen. John Stark