[extropy-chat] drunken fish

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 22 06:02:37 UTC 2004

> > At 08:42 PM 3/21/2004 -0600, Kevin wrote:
> >
> > >Catholic friends drank alcohol like fish!

> But is Kevin's judgement coming from a different tradition, like, say,
> Mormon lifestyle?
>
> The unofficial catholic tradition is that since Jesus turned
> water into wine, he must have done it because he wanted man to
> turn wine into water... Mike Lorrey

Mike surely you need a good Seventh Day Adventist to
explain this to you: how JC could be sinless and
still have provided the demon liquor to the wedding
guests.  I would suggest it was a case of mistaken
identity: it was the evil twin brother Hoerkheimer who
did that.  But the traditional SDA interpretation
is to point out that the original Greek in which the
New Testament was written does not distinguish between
fermented wine and freshly squeezed grape juice.  Of
course this isn't entirely true; "oinos" is generally
thought to be fermented wine.  Furthermore the earliest
Hebrew translations specify "yayin" which is unequivocally
"fermented juice of the grape."  But it makes a good
story anyway.