[extropy-chat] Altered genes let roundworms wiggle longer

Sat Mar 27 20:13:15 UTC 2004

On Friday, March 26, 2004, at 04:24 am, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2004, at 2:41 PM, Harvey Newstrom wrote:
>

>> On Monday, March 22, 2004, at 01:58 pm, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
>>
>>> From SFGate.com: If humans are like worms, we may be closer to
>>> living considerably longer lives than most people realize.
>>
>> I don't know why the author even bothered to start with sentence,
>> when the logical premise is disproved immediately thereafter:
>>
>>> The worms in question are transparent and about a millimeter long. A
>>> favorite of geneticists because of their simple anatomy and small
>>> number of genes,
>>
>> These worms are favored by geneticists because they are NOT like
>> complicated humans either in anatomy or genetics.
>
> Do you believe the differences are so relevant that they make this
> result utterly useless?

No.  I never said the results were utterly useless.  I said the first
sentence was refuted by the third sentence, so that the conclusion is
obviously faulty.  We are NOT "closer to living considerably longer
lives than most people realize" as a result of this finding.  This may
be useful in the long-term, but not in the way speculated by the first
sentence.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec