[extropy-chat] Altered genes let roundworms wiggle longer

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Mar 27 21:55:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 01:48:30PM -0800, Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

> First, I believe that Greg Fahy at 21st Century Medicine is
> making good progress with using vitrification for the preservation
> of at least some organs.  Investigating in PubMed and/or contacting
> them directly would probably confirm or deny this.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WD5-4BDC848-2&_user=10&_handle=B-WA-A-A-AC-MsSAYZA-UUA-AUYWADYUYU-AUDEDCYYYU-BUYDDAUBU-AC-U&_fmt=full&_coverDate=02%2F29%2F2004&_rdoc=3&_orig=browse&_srch=%23toc%236757%232004%23999519998%23480579!&_cdi=6757&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=47a4cadf64be1e80b143eacbc2f5af6d

Volume 48, Issue 1  ,  February 2004,  Pages 22-35

doi:10.1016/j.cryobiol.2003.11.004     Cite or link using doi
Copyright © 2003 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Improved vitrification solutions based on the predictability of vitrification
solution toxicity*1, *2

Gregory M. Fahy, , a, Brian Wowka, Jun Wua and Sharon Paynterb

a 21st Century Medicine, Inc., 10844 Edison Court, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
91730, USA
b Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Wales College of
Medicine Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XN, Wales, UK

Received 9 July 2003;  accepted 18 November 2003. ; Available online 7
January 2004.

Abstract

Long-term preservation of complex engineered tissues and organs at cryogenic
temperatures in the absence of ice has been prevented to date by the
difficulty of discovering combinations of cryoprotectants that are both
sufficiently non-toxic and sufficiently stable to allow viability to be
maintained and ice formation to be avoided during slow cooling to the glass
transition temperature and subsequent slow rewarming. A new theory of the
origin of non-specific cryoprotectant toxicity was shown to account, in a
rabbit renal cortical slice model, for the toxicities of 20 vitrification
solutions and to permit the design of new solutions that are dramatically
less toxic than previously known solutions for diverse biological systems.
Unfertilized mouse ova vitrified with one of the new solutions were
successfully fertilized and regained 80% of the absolute control (untreated)
rate of development to blastocysts, whereas ova vitrified in VSDP, the best
previous solution, developed to blastocysts at a rate only 30% of that of
controls. Whole rabbit kidneys perfused at -3 °C with another new solution
at a concentration of cryoprotectant (8.4 M) that was previously 100% lethal
at this temperature exhibited no damage after transplantation and immediate
contralateral nephrectomy. It appears that cryoprotectant solutions that are
composed to be at the minimum concentrations needed for vitrification at
moderate cooling rates are toxic in direct proportion to the average strength
of water hydrogen bonding by the polar groups on the permeating
cryoprotectants in the solution. Vitrification solutions that are based on
minimal perturbation of intracellular water appear to be superior and provide
new hope that the successful vitrification of natural organs as well as
tissue engineered or clonally produced organ and tissue replacements can be
achieved.

Author Keywords: Cryoprotective agents; Organ preservation; Engineered
tissues; Tissue banking; Dimethyl sulfoxide; Formamide; Ethylene glycol; Ice
blockers; Polyvinyl alcohol; Polyglycerol; Polyvinylpyrrolidone; LM5;
TransSend; X-1000; VM3; 9v; Z-1000