[extropy-chat] Evidence for the self surviving brain disassembly? (was Altered genes let roundworms wiggle longer)

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 28 01:39:38 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

> To the best of my recall Damien may be the person who is
> least comfortable with a copy (in various forms) being oneself.

If the continuation of my self (my very life) depended on it, like
in cryonics for instance, I'd be pretty uncomfortable assuming
that all the matter that makes up my living brain could be replaced
in one go with a mere copy to someone else's level of satisfaction.

Why shouldn't I be uncomfortable? I don't think of myself as merely
what other people perceive me to be. What evidence is there that I
or any homo sapiens can survive the complete disassembly of their
brain?

So long as this question remains unanswered what separates
cryonics (that posits that the self can survive the disassembly of
the brain in which one currently experiences it) from religious
systems that believe the same thing?  Isn't it a case of pick your
belief-poison?

Regards,
Brett Paatsch