[extropy-chat] Nano-assembler feasibility - meta

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 29 21:30:48 UTC 2004

> exchanging useful information.  Let's start by agreeing that there is
> some non-zero uncertainty about whether molecular manufacturing can work.

I'm not so sure about this. I'm not an expert, but it seems that
1.) Nature has managed to create many such "devices" through random chance.
2.) Since human beings can manipulate nature, there should be no reason why
we can't create anything nature has produced or even improve upon it.(ie.
Nature made the bird, we made the shuttle orbiter)
3.) We have already demonstrated the baility to move individual atoms.
4.) It does not conflict with the laws of physics as we know them.

The only way I can think of to make the possibilty greater than zero is to
include such things as:
1.) We are incorrect in our basic understanding of physics.
2.) Either human beings die, or become incapable of the technology necessary
before we figure out how to do it.

Now we may be slightly off on a few things, but I don;t expect a complete
revolution in physics that shows that everything we thought we understood
was wrong, and the odds of our survival have little to do with whether or
not assemblers can be made, only whether or not they will.

Anyways, that's my two cents....:-)