[extropy-chat] Re: Suda et al papers (was Cryonics without comprehensive brain disassembly?-No)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu May 6 19:42:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 10:27:54AM -0700, Hal Finney wrote:

> Robert Bradbury had mentioned it as a citation for "cryonics without
> comprehensive brain disassembly".  In fact, however, the paper mostly

I don't understand the point. Ideal cryonics is about turning CNS tissue into
cryogenic glass, proceeding as quickly as possible while introducing the least amount
of artifacts. The result is a static block, with no relevant rate of change.

Once you're there, you're golden. It doesn't matter when and whether you
process stuff in tiny increments, or disassemble and reassemble the entire
thing in one fell swoop, so interim it only exists as bits. The process is
completely transparent but for the final result.

Because time is of no relevance on that last leg of the journey, we can
assume essentially perfect information extraction methods. Given the
tremendous loss of information on that initial, crucial stage we should frankly
look there for potential show-stoppers (there are several candidates there,
which typically don't attract attention for some strange reason; probably
because they're perfectly boring, and require low-tech legacy methods to be
addressed, which are considering bor-r-ing).

> discusses what Merkle calls "off-board" repair, meaning repair where
> the brain is disassembled and then reassembled, as distinguished from
> "on-board" repair, which is repairing the brain in place.

Repairing the brain in vivo in situ requires medical nanotechnology. I don't
think anyone on this list will benefit from that (with the possible exception
of very young radical CR practitioners, and/or working personal molecular
therapies for life extension). Once again, I'm not holding my breath.