[extropy-chat] fishing for cc numbers: idea

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Tue May 11 04:25:16 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:
> Hey extropians, check this.  It came in my inbox the other day.  Its one
> of those
> scams where they get the gullible to give away their credit card numbers.
> Note the many mistakes in the *two sentences* of the message.  How
> many do you count?  I get at least nine.  {8^D  "regular and verification",
> missing or misplaced commas and periods, extra spaces,  inappropriate
> lower/upper case, etc.  It makes me think it came from overseas, which
> gives me an idea.

   Note that the "signin" hyperlink actually points to 61.100.12.150, which is
in Korea.

(~/prog/test) $ whois 61.100.12.150
[Querying whois.apnic.net]
[Redirected to whois.nic.or.kr]
[Querying whois.nic.or.kr]
[whois.nic.or.kr]
Çѱ¹ÀÎÅͳÝÁ¤º¸¼¾ÅÍ¿¡¼­ Á¦°øÇÏ´Â µµ¸ÞÀÎÀ̸§ µî·ÏÁ¤º¸ Á¶È¸(WHOIS) ¼­ºñ½º ÀÔ´Ï´Ù.

query: 61.100.12.150

# ENGLISH

KRNIC is not ISP but National Internet Registry similar with APNIC.
The IP address is allocated and still held by the following ISP, or
they did not update whois information after assigning to end-user.

Please see the following ISP contacts for relevant information
or network abuse complaints.

[ ISP Organization Information ]
Org Name      : Enterprise Networks
Service Name  : ENTERPRISENET
Org Address   : GNG IDC B/D, 343-1 Yhatap-dong, Pundang-gu, Seongnam

[ ISP IP Admin Contact Information ]
Name          : Hyo-Sun, Chang
Phone         : +82-2-2105-6082
Fax           : +82-2-2105-6100
E-Mail        : ip at epnetworks.co.kr

[ ISP IP Tech Contact Information ]
Name          : IP
Phone         : +82-2-2105-6016
Fax           : +82-2-2105-6100
E-mail        : ip at epnetworks.co.kr

[ ISP Network Abuse Contact Information ]
Name          : Postmaster
Phone         : +82-2-2105-6016
Fax           : +82-2-2105-6100
E-mail        : abuse at epnetworks.co.kr

> Some code jockey might even
> be able to gen up a script that would automatically fill in and return bogus
> data to these kinds of sites.  {8^D  spike

   Somebody has.  From my posting of 2004-01-22:

   There's a program that does this in an automated fashion, "Unsolicited
Commando."

http://www.astrobastards.net/uc/index.jsp

   It's designed to fill in web-based response forms with pretty-good-looking
data that buries the valid responses in with tons of invalid responses that
the spammer has to manually validate, making it economically infeasible to
continue with this business model.

--
  Alan Eliasen                 | "You cannot reason a person out of a
  eliasen at mindspring.com       |  position he did not reason himself