[extropy-chat] Maximising Human Potential : Education :Toys

Daniel Matthews dan at 3-e.net
Thu May 13 00:01:40 UTC 2004

Thanks for the ideas. The PDA idea is very cool ( I was thinking about
solidstate MP3 audio books myself at one point) but I don't have
$250,000,000.

My question is not theoretical so I'll leave the PDA's etc. to Bill Gates and
the urber rich. (Perhaps not Bill, he still needs to get Windows fixed before
he lets himself get distracted by anything more profound. ;) )

Perhaps the lego/meccano approach is the way to go but the solution must be
locally produced and patent free, then the idea will scale to millions of
people and it is more a "good meme" than a handout of aid.

The materials and production processes MUST be low-tech and sustainable so
plastics etc. may have to be replaced with things you can grow, such as wood.

The key is to create a "seed" idea  that will grow in a self sustained manner
because the idea's merit is self evident to the majority of minds that become
aware of it.

Imagine if you could apply all the annoying "viral" like human behaviours,
such as pyramid selling, to an altruistic purpose and that purpose was to
propagate ideas that were readily applicable in the third world and resulted
in a significant benefit to the intellectual development of children.

There are two parts to this, the design/s for the toys/teaching aids and their
manufacture and distribution, then there is the method by which the
ideas/designs are propagated throughout the world.