[extropy-chat] San Francisco NextFest this weekend

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue May 18 08:39:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 05:34:24PM -0700, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> This suffers from severe edge effects: one can easily
> see the outline, due to optical properties inherent in
> the details of how they pull this off.  I talked to

The only way to make it invisible around VIS range is to fake the wavefront,
which requires nontrivial amount of really quick crunch and phased-array
radiators for VIS.

This thing's going to run pretty hot, too, so it will be a giant blip in FIR
(from close you'll probably feel the heat).

> the chief scientist (among the representatives
> present, anyway), and he all but admitted they aren't
> going for the obvious military application because
> they can't see any way around this.  The application
> they are going for is see-through surfaces, like
> replacing the rear view mirror in cars or letting
> pilots see through the floor of their planes.  I can
> think of cheaper, more technologically mature
> solutions for those problems, but this would seem to
> work.

The only way to make it truly invisible to uninstrumented mammal vision is to
use the above, which requires advanced molecular design methods.